“Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:”
I Samuel 12:23 kjv
1. We’re not interested. Sometimes we’re so satisfied with the way things are that we fail to desire any “change“. The fact is, tomorrow will be the same if you don’t do something different today. For Christians, that first action means to get busy “praying“! Prayer changes things!
2. We’re too busy. Sometimes we feel we just don’t have “time” to pray. We already have too much on our “to do” list so we avoid it. Or, maybe we muster up enough strength to fit in a five minute prayer before we brush our teeth and head out the door. Five minutes is better than nothing…but could you do better? Getting up a little earlier is the best time to have quiet time with the Lord. Also, there’s more quiet time as we lay our heads on our pillows at night before we drift off to sleep. Have you ever woke up in middle of the night and couldn’t get back to sleep? Try praying!
3. We lack concern for others. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our “own” doings that we fail to care about others. Try to be a blessing to someone each day. Make a prayer list and a genuine effort to care about others by praying for them. Some day you might be the one in need of urgent prayer!
4. Our thinking is too narrow. Sometimes we feel that God only cares our big problems, so we don’t attempt to pray about the little ones. It’s not a bother to our Heavenly Father. You see, our human flesh “sizes” up problems regarding “how big” or “how little” they are. God cares about them all. Just pray!
5. Our thinking is too small. Sometimes we’re afraid to ask God for bigger things. For the most part, it’s probably due to lack of faith. But in reality, our prayers show how big we believe God really is… do we not think He’s capable of more than what we’re praying about? Big God = Big Prayers.
6. We don’t like to get involved or make commitments. Have you ever avoided saying, “I’ll pray for you about that“? We’re afraid to make a commitment because again, we feel we’re just “too busy” and we “lack concern” for others. Get involved; commit yourself to pray. Make little prayer lists (one for family, one for friends, one for church members, etc.) and post them here and there….one in the bathroom, one by your bed, one in your purse, one by where you fold laundry…wherever! As you can see, we can find small bits of time to pray when we try hard enough.
7. We’re afraid. Sometimes, underneath it all, we’re really afraid of what will happen if God does answer our prayer. For this reason, we end up avoiding the subject when we’re praying. The fact is, God is and always will be in control (and will complete His work) when we allow Him to do His work. In this case, you’re like the little child who wants to leap down into the arms of his/her daddy, but afraid to take that initial jump. The “what if” he misses my fall clouds your mind. God never misses! God never fails! Increase your faith by reading MORE of God’s Word. (Romans 10:17)..and get to praying!
We must take time as Christians to pray. We must have love and concern for others…enough to pray! If you don’t feel that you care enough…start anyway! God will work in your heart…and you’ll grow closer to Him. He will give you love for others, strength, courage, wisdom and more. Just pray.
God bless your day ahead,