- It’s usually cheaper to buy.
- It works with a lot of my favorite meals.
- Lunch is SUPER FAST with leftover chicken!!
- I can use leftover chicken to toss on top of a salad.
- Make a quick chicken salad sandwich.
- Toss in some leftover chicken bits with some frozen veggies to create a quick stir-fry.
Today, I’m sharing with you a delicious, healthy, slow cooker chicken recipe. This flavor-packed chicken is versatile — perfect for burrito bowls, lettuce wraps, or over a bed of flavorful cilantro-lime rice with creamy, cilantro lime sauce.
Organic Cumin Powder – Cumin Seed Powder – ★ USDA Certified Organic – ★ European Union Certified Organic – ★ Pesticides Free – ★ Adulteration Free – ★ Sodium Free (my referral link)
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
Tip: Don’t skip the squeeze of fresh lime juice after cooking. It really brightens the flavors and pulls them all together.
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 10-oz. cans Rotel fire-roasted diced tomatoes & green chilies, undrained
2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1½ T. hickory-flavored liquid smoke
2 t. ground cumin
1 T. chili powder
1 t. smoked paprika
2 t. dried oregano
1 t. cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper, to taste
2 limes, quartered
¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Unroll and add chicken thighs to bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock. Top with tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine, making sure the chicken thighs are coated and submerged in the liquid.
2. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before done cooking, remove lid and shred chicken while in the slow cooker with two forks. Stir to combine shredded chicken with other ingredients. Cover and cook for remaining 30 minutes to allow chicken to absorb the flavors.
3. Remove lid and squeeze fresh lime juice into the crock. Add cilantro and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
4. To serve, spoon chicken mixture over plain brown rice or cilantro-lime rice. Top with cilantro-lime sauce if desired. Serve with remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!